Why I Run...
I will be participating in the Jim Tracy 5k to Defeat ALS to support my wife Cathy, who was just diagnosed with ALS in December.
What is ALS?
ALS is a progressive disease, which means it gets worse over time. It affects nerves in your brain and spinal cord that control your muscles. As your muscles get weaker, it gets harder for you to walk, talk, eat, and breathe.
Why We Need Your Help
- ALS occurs throughout the world with no racial, ethnic, or socioeconomic boundaries.
- The average life expectancy of an ALS patient is two to five years from the time of diagnosis.
- Every 90 minutes someone in this country is diagnosed with ALS, and every 90 minutes another person will lose their battle against this disease.
- ALS can strike anyone. Presently there is no known cause of the disease. Someone you know or love may die from ALS unless a cure is found.
- Caring for a loved one with ALS costs on average of $300,000 each year.
How The Golden West Chapter of The ALS Association helps
- Assistance with communication devices
- Connection with medical equipment donation providers
- Providing information about ALS and the ALSA Patient and Family Program including our support groups
- Connection with the ALS Association Certified Treatment Centers
- Care planning for the present and the future
- Problem-solving about health insurance, medical concerns, transportation, environmental challenges, equipment, family communication and personal adjustment
- Facilitating supportive counseling and assessment
- Providing referrals and information to you and your family on local community resources
- Assisting you to evaluate caregiver resources and alternative living arrangements as needed
- Assisting with access to services and support