Virtual Avera Race Logistics
Virtual Avera Race Teams are an excellent way for individuals/businesses to participate in the state's largest cancer race while fostering tradition, creating memories, boosting employee morale and team-building skills all while showing your community YOU care!
Opportunities for Individuals/Businesses: Organize a Family or Company Team!
- Company involvement in the history-making Virtual Avera Race Against Cancer.
- Fosters team-building and boosts morale.
- Fulfills workplace fitness and wellness initiatives, provides unique opportunity to create a "personalized" race route and participate as a company.
- Make a positive statement about cancer survivorship, perhaps by participating in honor of an employee currently battling the disease.
- Opens the door to educate your company about programs of early detection and prevention of cancer.
- Increases visibility and enhances public image.
Partner with a Trusted Leader
The Avera Cancer Institute continues to be the leader in cancer care in our community with the most trusted source for cancer information. By joining the Avera Race Against Cancer, you will partner with a leader in the fight against cancer. Since 1989, the Avera Race has donated over $7 million dollars to cancer programs and services. The Avera Race takes pride in funding innovative research, advanced technology and enhanced patient services such as integrative medicine.
Money raised through proceeds from cancer awareness events such as the Avera Race have funded the following programs and services:
- Cancer Support Groups
- Comprehensive Wig Program at Care Store Salon
- Integrative Medicine Program
- Educational Materials and Classes
- Patient Navigation
Steps for Virtual Team Registration
- You may register your virtual team by clicking the "Register" and "Form a Team" buttons.
- If you create a new virtual team, you will be the virtual team captain.
- Start recruiting! The Virtual Avera Race still encourages teambuilding (NOTE: Ten registered participants are required to qualify as a team - there is no maximum of registered participants per team).
- Challenge team members to go the next step and customize their Participant Center to track fundraising goals, send out messages and share fun photos!
- Be creative with your virtual team; this year's virtual race encourages interaction via social media. Design shirts, make signs, dress up and take pics to share on the Avera Race Facebook page and Instagram: use the hashtag #RunThisTown.
Race at your own pace and become a "Sideline Supporter." Join thousands of community supporters and work towards your own "virtual finish line" together, helping local cancer patients and families along the way. Simply select "Sideline Supporter" as your race and receive an official Avera Race t-shirt and give-aways.
Virtual Race Packet Pick-Ups
All registered participants will receive their official Avera Race packets AFTER the race at a to-be-determined time at the Avera McKennan Fitness Center.
- NEW! Registrants will receive an Avera backpack and other giveaways!
- All registered participants will receive a unisex long-sleeve loose fit performance t-shirt.
- To ensure all registered participants receive their selected size, substitutions may be made at a later date.
- ALL cancer survivors receive a complimentary survivor long-sleeved t-shirt. Please note if you are a survivor on the registration form or during the online check-out process.
Virtual Race Times and Schedule
- 7:45 am - Warm-up with Jackie (link to live warm-up will be provided)
- 8:00 am - all distance races and walks begin!
Please Note: Refunds are not permitted regardless of COVID-19 restrictions.
When does online registration end?
Am I able to get my yearly screening mammogram at the Avera Race?
Will the 5K and 10K runs be timed?
No, there will be no official timing for those who choose to participate in the virtual 5K and 10K runs. However, we encourage you to share your times on Facebook and Instagram using the hashtag: #RunThisTown to show your support and encourage others to do the same!
Is there a time limit for running the 5K or 10K?
When will I get my Avera Race shirt and packet?
What if I cannot pick up my shirt and packet on the new date?
I have young children that will be attending the race with me. Do they need to be registered?
Virtual Race Incentives
- Receive official Avera Race giveaways.
- Print off an Avera Race window sign: choose from the full color version or get creative and download the customizable version.
- Fun activities and opportunities to stay engaged.
- Share pictures of yourself leading up to the Virtual Avera Race on May 8 to build excitement, improve morale and HAVE FUN!
Virtual Race Leaderboard
Become a Sponsor
The Virtual Avera Race Against Cancer still offers unique opportunities to sponsors. We are optimistic the year's event will be a success with opportunities for everyone to support cancer survivors and their families at the Avera Cancer Institute. From cash donations to in-kind sponsorships, the Virtual Avera Race offers a variety of levels to match your business or organization's marketing goals and budget.
The Virtual Avera Race Against Cancer still relies on the commitment of volunteers. Please note: only a reduced number of volunteer spots will be needed. Sign-up will be announced and available on a first come, first service basis.
Check Back for Virtual Race Volunteer Opportunies!