2019 Buzzards Bay Swim
Two hundred seventy-eight swimmers dove into outer New Bedford Harbor to show their support for a clean and healthy Buzzards Bay by taking part in the 26th annual Buzzards Bay Swim on June 22, 2019. The event raised over $187,000 and counting to support the Coalition's education, conservation, and advocacy work.
Fastest swimmer in the 75+ age group, Nancy Smith
- Fastest Overall (Male): Rob Jones, 54, of Falmouth (22:00)
- Fastest Overall (Female): Elizabeth Krane, 25, of Saint Louis, Mo. (24:53)
- 13 and under: Ethan Larue, 13, of Whitinsville (29:44) and Emma Whittaker, 12, of Rochester (31:08)
- 14-19: Jason Bernard, 16, of Westport (22:52) and Molly Jordan, 17, of Mendon (25:34)
- 20-24: Eric Pauls, 22, of Westport (24:46) and Emily Boardman, 24, of New Bedford (33:20)
- 25-29: Michael Gryss, 25, of New Bedford (32:53) and Elizabeth Krane, 25, of St. Louis, Mo. (24:53)
- 30-34: Andrew Leone, 34, of St. Petersburg, Fla.(31:22) and Nicole O'Keeffe, 31, of Arlington (27:25)
- 35-39: Justin Nyweide, 39, of Wellesley (24:31) and Caitlin Hagen, 35, of Somerville (31:12)
- 40-44: Patrick Vitale, 40, of Willimantic, Conn. (26:34) and Laurie Craigen, 42, of Boston (27:08)
- 45-49: Albert Garcia, 48, of Barrington, R.I. (22:53) and Meredith Gilson, 48, of Falmouth (25:03)
- 50-54: Rob Jones, 54, of Falmouth (22:00) and Laura Jones, 53, of Falmouth (30:58)
- 55-59: James Hartnett, 55, of Westport (25:21) and Felicia Bianchi, 56, of Decatur, Ga. (27:45)
- 60-64: Mark Alexander, 60, of Jamaica Plain (27:40) and Anne Galliher, 62, of Old Lyme, Conn. (29:38)
- 65-69: Joe Hebert, 66, of Amherst (27:34) and Erica Miller, 66, of Berkley (36:47)
- 70-74: Jack Nyweide, 71 of Wilmette, Ill. (34:16) and Maureen Nolan, 72, of Falmouth (52:33)
- 75-79: Nancy Smith, 79, of Dartmouth (1:02:40)
View full results from the 2019 Swim.
Wheeler Watershed Challenge Cup (Fastest Adult Team)
The Salty Seadogs: Jack Bauer of Cumberland, R.I., Alex Gallant of Lakeville, Nicholas Graca of East Freetown, and Adam Reitz of Hilton, N.Y. (average time of 25:44)
Quicks Award (Fastest Youth Team)
New Bedford YMCA Hurricanes Youth: Jason Bernard of Westport, Abby Daniels of Marion, Addie Hellstrom of Fairhaven, Sean Lurd of Rochester, Chloe Morgado of New Bedford, Mia Morgan of New Bedford, and Xander Schenck of Fall River (average time of 25:25)
Top Individual Fundraisers
- Steve Johnson of Westport ($3,725)
- Grover Baxley of Cataumet ($3,550)
- Nancy Smith of Dartmouth ($3,325)
- Top fundraiser for a first-time swimmer: Liz Appleby of Mattapoisett ($1,816)
Top Fundraising Team
SPLASH! Rebecca Williams and Xan Williams of Rochester ($6,350)
Participation Award Winners
Cuttyhunk Award (10-Year Participants)
- Laurie Hellstrom of Fairhaven
- Mara Honohan of Fairhaven
- Max Medina of Marion
- Leslie Trott of Cedar Grove, N.J.
- Stephanie Trott of Fairhaven
Six Mile Award (5-Year Participants)
- Peter Bell of Westbrook, Me.
- Jason Bernard of Westport
- Alex Butters of New Bedford
- Kait Carvalho of Dartmouth
- Margo Connolly-Masson of Fairhaven
- Patricia Emmons of Mattapoisett
- Meredith Gilson of Falmouth
- Nicholas Graca of East Freetown
- Gwen Hancock of Bristol, R.I.
- Melissa Johnson of Charlotte, N.C.
- Sara Munger of Quincy
- Gisele Pappas of New Bedford
- Tracy Pennoyer of Dartmouth
- Erin Poyant of Fairhaven
- Katia Sowers of Durham, N.C.
- Juliet Xifaris of Mattapoisett
Thank you to the 2019 Buzzards Bay Swim sponsors:
ABC Disposal • All Sports Events • Amaral's Market • Amrita Certified Pure Coffee • Arthur Moniz Gallery • CAVU Digital Media • Clif Bar • Crystal Ice Company • Denzil Ernstzen Photography • Edson International • El Caribe Steel Drum Ensemble • Emma Whynacht • Fairhaven DPW • Fairfield Inn & Suites New Bedford • Fun 107 • M&C Café • mediumstudio • New Bedford DPI • Reynolds DeWalt • Sperry Tents • The Crook Family
Event Safety & Support
Bristol County Sheriff's Office • Community Boating Center • DCR's Fort Phoenix State Reservation • Fairhaven Fire Department & EMS • Fairhaven Harbormaster • Fairhaven Police Department Marine Unit • Massachusetts Environmental Police • Mike Huguenin • New Bedford Port Authority • New Bedford Police Department Port Security Division • New Bedford Fire Department, Marine Safety Unit • New Bedford Police Department • New Bedford Harbormaster • Tow Boat U.S. New Bedford • U.S. Coast Guard Auxiliary, New Bedford Flotilla 1NR 65 • U.S. Coast Guard Sector Southeastern New England and Station Menemsha
View photos from the 2019 Buzzards Bay Swim below or on Flickr. More photos will be added throughout the coming week.