Let’s Swim! The Buzzards Bay Coalition Swim is ON and adapting to ensure a safe event for everyone.
Our annual Swim, this year on Saturday, June 26, will take place at a time when public health officials may recommend continuing to follow certain public health and social distancing guidelines to limit the spread of COVID-19.
To make social distancing easier, we are reducing the total number of swimmers to 50 for the 2021 Swim. A smaller swim will enable us to offer a safe experience for everyone involved and provide an opportunity for our most dedicated swimmers to get into the water, connect, have fun, and fundraise to support clean water in Buzzards Bay.
We will continue to closely monitor best practices recommended by public health officials as the event draws nearer.
Here is a sample of the precautions that we will implement for this event:
Contact-free and advance packet pick-up
- We will offer registration packet mailing to all participants who have achieved their minimum fundraising goal and have provided proof of qualification by Monday, June 7.
- We will be offering outdoor, advance packet pick up ahead of swim day to avoid crowding during check-in. This will begin during the latter part of the week of June 14. Specific dates and times will be announced soon.
- We will have extra socially distanced check-in stations the morning of the event.
Personal protection supplies for every swimmer
- We will provide participants with a reusable facemask as they cross the finish line
- We will provide additional facemasks, hand sanitizer and disinfectant at the starting and finish lines
Socially distanced starting line procedures
- We will split the 50 swimmers into two starting groups, rather than a single mass start, to avoid crowding.
- Required use of face masks in the starting area, prior to swimmers entering the water.
Socially distanced finish line procedures
- Required use of face masks in the finish area, after swimmers exit the water.
- All volunteers will wear facemasks in the start and finish areas.
- Only volunteers and staff will hand out swag and refreshments.
Mandatory “Mask Required” Locations
- Swimmers will be required to wear masks at the starting line and finish line. There will be ample space to spread out supplies so that individuals may self-distance.
Additional details will be finalized as the event draws closer and participants will receive updated safety guidelines and procedures closer to the date of the swim. Further adaptations to the swim may be made as additional information and public health guidelines are released. As always, safety will remain our top priority.