2022 Buzzards Bay Swim
Nearly two hundred swimmers dove into outer New Bedford Harbor to show their support for a clean and healthy Buzzards Bay by taking part in the 29th annual Buzzards Bay Swim on June 18, 2022. The event has raised $185,000 and counting to support the Coalition's education, conservation, and advocacy work.
- Fastest Overall (Female): Carlyn Soares, (24), of Boston (24:32)
- Fastest Overall (Male): Cristian Twyman, (21), of Mattapoisett (24:30)
- 11-13: Lazaro Rosa, (13), of Rochester (38:20)
- 14-19: Alexandre Conde, (14), of New Bedford (26:04) and Addie Hellstrom, (17), of Fairhaven (27:45)
- 20-24: Cristian Twyman, (21), of Mattapoisett (24:30) and Carlyn Soares, (24), of Boston (24:32)
- 25-29: Jack Bauer, (25), of Boston (26:42) and Elizabeth Krane, (28), of St. Louis, MO (28:22)
- 30-34: Nicole O'Keeffe, (34), of Arlington (27:33) and Blake Cole, (32), of Woods Hole (29:24)
- 35-39: Judd Vear, (36), of Bath, ME (33:47) and Laura Robertson, (35) of Providence, RI (41:11)
- 40-44: Justin Nyweide, (42), of Wellesley (27:07) and Sandra Brosnahan, (42), of Falmouth (31:02)
- 45-49: Miles Wilson, (46), of Tiverton, RI (31:06) and Laurie Hellstrom, (49), of Fairhaven (32:55)
- 50-54: Meredith Gilson, (51), of Falmouth (26:05) and Alexander Orr, (52), of Wrentham (30:24)
- 55-59: James Hartnett, (58), of Westport (26:43) and Judith Westrick, (59), of Lincoln, RI (34:10)
- 60-64: Harris Nusbaum, (60), of Newton (33:26) and Marianne Buchinskas, (61), of New York, NY (38:41)
- 65-69: Rick Rheinhardt, (68), of Pocasset (27:15) and Anne Galliher, (65), of Old Lyme, CT (30:31)
- 70-74: Jack Nyweide, (74), of Wilmette, IL (40:30) and Chris Parks, (74), of Fairhaven (45:15)
- 80-84: Nancy Smith, (82), of Dartmouth (65:26)
View full results from the 2022 Swim.
Wheeler Watershed Challenge Cup (Fastest Adult Team)URSoleshine: Nicole Harrington, Eric Dionisio, Elizabeth Pepin, Bernave Twyman, Cristian Twyman, and Hannah Weber (average time of 25:41)
Quicks Award (Fastest Youth Team)For Emma: Abbie Daniels, Phillip Whittaker, Emily Donatio, Abigail Forcier, Jaymison Gunschel, Samuel Harris, Addie Hellstrom, Corinne Hibbert, Autumn Horsey, Eugene Jung, Caitlyn Lund, Sean Lund, Emma McGinnis, Brandon Medeiros, Quinn O'Brien-Nichols, Tate Peterson, Julia Sheridan, and Ella Shultz
Top Individual Fundraisers
- Steve Johnson of Westport ($12,015)
- Pamela Gauvin-Fernandes of Assonet ($6,110)
- Nancy Smith of Dartmouth ($4,145)
- Top fundraiser for a first time swimmer: Alexandre Conde ($1,160)
Top Fundraising Team
Participation Award Winners
Cuttyhunk Award (10-Year Participants)
- Alex Gallant, Jessica Harris, Frank Mark, and Rob Thieler.
Six Mile Award (5-Year Participants)
- Michael Gryss, Sam Harris, James Hartnett, Elizabeth Kalife, and David Small.
View photos from the 2022 Buzzards Bay Swim on Flickr. More photos will be added throughout the coming week.
2022 Event Sponsors
Thank you to our 2022 Swim sponsors!
Event Safety & Support
Bristol County Sheriff's Office • Community Boating Center • DCR's Fort Phoenix State Reservation • Fairhaven Fire Department & EMS • Fairhaven Harbormaster • Fairhaven Police Department Marine Unit • Massachusetts Environmental Police • Mike Huguenin • New Bedford Port Authority • New Bedford Police Department Port Security Division • New Bedford Fire Department, Marine Safety Unit • New Bedford Police Department • New Bedford Harbormaster • Tow Boat U.S. New Bedford • U.S. Coast Guard Auxiliary, New Bedford Flotilla 1NR 65 • U.S. Coast Guard Sector Southeastern New England and Station Menemsha