5 K RACE AND 5 K-9 FUN RUN OR WALK DETAILS
Pre-Run Packet/ Bib Pick Up
- When: Friday, March 18th
- Where: Fleet Feet Mount Pleasant, 881 Houston Northcutt Blvd, Mount Pleasant SC 29464
- Time: 2:00 PM - 6:00 PM
Day of Pick-up
- When: Saturday, March 19th
- Where: Riverfront Park, 1001 Everglades Avenue, North Charleston
- Time: 6:30 AM - 7:45 AM
5 K Race and 5 K-9 Fun Run or Walk Day of Details
When: Saturday, March 19, 2022
Where: Riverfront Park, 1001 Everglades Avenue, North Charleston
Time: Registration and day-of packet pickup beginning at 6:30 AM
5 K Run 8:00AM | 5 K-9 Walk/Run 8:30 AM
*Everyone must be in the park and ready to start by 7:45 AM
Parking will be available on site, please follow signage. The lots closest to the park are reserved for handicapped and vendor parking. Please allow yourself 10 to 15 minutes to walk from the lot. The lot is located on the corner of Shipbuilding Way & North Hobson Ave. We will be walking / running rain or shine so make sure you prepare for both. LOOP's carbon-free electric shuttles will be running from 6:30 AM until 5:00 PM to help transport attendees to and from the race and festival.
WHEN YOU ARRIVE
There will be signage for 2 groups:
Competitive 5k/ 5k9 Walk/Run
Please fall into line in the designated area for your group.
If you prefer to walk the whole 5k you are able to do that too. Just line up with the 5k or 5k with dogs group but, please stay to the back of the group so the runners can start out first.
If you have friends & family who have not yet signed up yet, they can register the morning of.
COURSE SAFETY: IF YOU ARE BRINGING YOUR DOG
To keep all participants (both people and dogs) safe during the event, there will be Behavior Staff throughout the park to assist with any concerns or issues that may arise. The following information will help ensure that you and your dog are set up for success, and have a positive and enjoyable experience at Paws in the Park.
Please be aware of your dog’s body language, as well as other dogs around you. Many dogs may not be used to being in a setting with large crowds of both people and other dogs. Signs indicating that a dog is stressed/frustrated and may react negatively can include, but is not limited to:
- crouching body, leaning away, or trying to flee/exit
- hyper-focus with ears forward and body weight forward, difficult to distract or get its attention
- growling/snarling, possibly with teeth exposed
- leash reactive (repetitive barking/growling when looking at or approaching another dog)
If your dog seems to be stressed during the event, consider moving away from the other dogs/crowd to give them space to calm down. The dog may feel more comfortable if you stagger your walk to be further back from the crowd.
If dogs are reacting within close proximity of each other (not making contact), lead dogs away by leash from each other in opposite directions and keep a significant amount of distance between them.
Should an altercation between dogs occur (unable to lead away making contact bites, grabbing/holding onto another dog), please refrain from reaching in to separate. Behavior Staff will step in to safely and efficiently resolve the issue.
- 5k with dogs will begin 15 minutes after standard 5k
- ABSOLUTELY NO RETRACTABLE LEASHES
- Dogs must be on a leash at all times
- Dogs are welcome as long as they are friendly to other dogs and people
- Clean up after your pet
- Water bowls will be placed throughout the race route and festival grounds
Go to charlestonanimalsociety.org/vip to gain access to:
- VIP Exclusive Pre-Event Featuring DockDogs and Refreshments Friday, March 18th
- Free registration to the Run or Walk
- Access to the VIP Hospitality House during the festival with complimentary drinks, food, and more
- Special Access to the Canine Sports Arena
PRIZES AND AWARDS
5 K Awards
Awards will be distributed after everyone has finished for: 1st, 2nd and 3rd place in the men’s and women’s division. This will take place on the main stage at 9:30 AM.