Brazil's new President Jair Bolsonaro has vowed to industrialize the Amazon Rainforest and permit even more animal agriculture and mining. Bolsonaro will build a highway that cuts through the heart of the rainforest to increase access for the ranchers, miners and logging companies that voted him into office. We can't let politicians and their corporate supporters destroy the Amazon, aptly called the lungs of the Earth!
Bolsonaro's chief diplomat, Foreign Minister Ernesto Araújo, calls climate science "dogma" and believes that red meat, oil, and heterosexual sex are being criminalized. Yet, animal agriculture, including forests converted into grazing land and land to grow animal feed crops, combined with an ever-growing human population base is the leading cause of fragmentation and forest loss.
The loss of Amazon Rainforest is critical because it cools the planet. The Amazon produces more than twenty percent of the world's oxygen. Bolsonaro's plans to destroy the Amazon will hasten global warming and reduce available land for diverse species of animals, including indigenous peoples, who all call the rainforest home. Join fellow activists around the globe to save the Amazon!
Animal activists protest Bolsonaro's plan in this video.
To learn more, read this article about Bolsonaro's destructive plans.
1) Learn about the negative impact of human population growth, switch to a whole foods, plant-based diet and live cruelty free! Animal agriculture fueled by human population growth on a global scale is the leading cause of rainforest destruction and climate change.
2) Join worldwide solidarity protests with fellow activists on Valentine's Day. Find a protest near you!
3) Comment on the Brazilian Embassy's Facebook Page in Washington, DC and on the official Brazilian Government Facebook Page. You can respond to their posts about the President and urge them to cancel his plans to privatize the Amazon Rainforest. When posting on social media, please the hashtags #AmazonEmergency and #ClimateAlarm.
4) Please leave a respectful message for the Consul General with her secretary asking her to urge Brazilian legislators to cancel their plans to privatize the Amazon Rainforest.
323-651-2664, press 2 for English, extension 211 (to leave a message with her secretary)
5) Sign our letter to the Consul General, Ambassador, Marcia Loureiro to voice your concerns along with international animal and environmental activists.
Protect the Amazon Before It's Too Late!
Dear [Decision Maker],
Sincerely,[Your Name] [Your Address] [City, State ZIP]
If you take action and have not already registered, you will receive periodic updates and communications from In Defense of Animals.
© 2019 IDA