Helping Animals After Chile’s Earthquake
On February 27, 2010, Chile experienced a magnitude 8.8 earthquake. This was followed by two tsunamis and several weeks of additional aftershocks.
In Defense of Animals has already committed $5000 to Socorro Animal Chile, SACH (Animal Relief Chile), a coalition of Chilean animal protection groups united to help an estimated 700,000 animals scattered across Chile. SACH sends three veterinarian-led teams into the field daily. We would like to send SACH even more assistance.
Funds IDA raises to help animals after the earthquake in Chile will be used to provide:
- Emergency Sheltering for rescued animals
- Search and Rescue efforts
- In-Field First Aid
- In-Field Sustenance (food/water program)
- Animal Rescue and Transport to Veterinary Clinics
- Temporary Clinics to treat animals
- Carry out Spay/Neuter and Adoption Programs
- Assessment and Tracking of Animal Populations
and following tsunami that Chile suffered on the early morning of the 27th of February devastated several small towns close to the coast. Thousands of animals are silent victims of this catastrophe. Hundreds of dogs live with their human families in shelters and thousands roam the ruins of towns and cities. The dogs' guardians have lost everything and do not have the resources to feed their animals.
“Chilean animal welfare groups and veterinarians decided to work together to help animals and created Socorro Animal Chile (Animal Relief Chile). And we are asking In Defense of Animals to help us to alleviate the pain and suffering of the animals of the South of Chile.”
Alejandra Cassino, Chief Coordinator
Adriana De La Garza, International Affairs
Socorro Animal Chile / Animal Relief Chile
Elsewhere, such as during the California fires of 2009 and after the Haiti earthquake of 2010, IDA stands ready to respond to disaster - and it is your donations to this Disaster Relief Fund that allow us to act wherever necessary, whenever we can. Help us build a fund that will enable us to act quickly in future disasters. If you'd like to donate to this fund today, scroll down to make your tax-deductible gift using our secure online form.
When disasters strike, your donations will be used for:
- Hands-on rescue
- Buy and transport food for animals
- Support veterinary care for injured animals
- Provide transport for animals
- Provide or build temporary shelters for animals
- Reunite companion animals with their human families, and/or support adoption efforts
- Provide lifetime sanctuary and or release of wild animals safely to their natural habitats
For more information about our disaster relief efforts and how you can help, contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Thank you for all you do for animals!