9th Annual Sunshine Striders 1-Mile Fun Run
Select an Event Member
Select the event member who asked for your support in the fight to beat rare cancers. If you prefer to give to the event and not a specific event member, please click “Donate to Event” below.
100% of all donations support research at MSK.
- OR -Donate to Event
Location: Chatham, NJ
In the quest for even more SUNSHINE, the Sunshine Striders are moving to the SPRINGTIME!
This year, the Sunshine Striders are teaming up with Bailey's Warriors in the battle against rare cancers. A loyal Sunshine Strider herself, Bailey Buell was diagnosed with rhabdomyosarcoma in January, and is being treated by Dr. Lenny Wexler, one of the best at MSKCC. All funds raised by the 2023 Sunshine Striders will be directed towards pediatric cancers, a drastically under-funded area of cancer research and treatment.
The Sunshine Striders will take to the the streets with a live event AND a virtual participation option. So, get your fast feet ready run as we JOIN THE BATTLE against rare cancers!
LIVE EVENT DETAILS:
- Date: Saturday, May 13th (rain date Sunday, May 14th)
- Time: 3:30pm for day of registration, 4:00pm live race start
- Location: Leach driveway at 208 Longwood Ave (corner of Dellwood) in Chatham, NJ
- Parking: Please park at Chatham High School to keep the streets clear for our runners. There will be a well marked path from the rear parking lot to the start of the race.
- Post-event: Following the run, we will celebrate all of our supporters with bounce houses, pizza and a DJ, so please plan to stay for the party.
- The magic of a virtual event is that you can do it anytime, anywhere, and with anyone you want!
- Please register with the Sunshine Striders so that we know you’re out there supporting us, and let us know what we can do to help your local efforts.
- And don’t forget to invite your friends! Registration and participation are FREE, but please make a donation to support our cause.
This is the 9th annual Sunshine Striders Fun Run, and over the years, this group has raised over $160,000 - every penny of which has gone to rare cancer research and clinical trials. Please help us reach our fundraising goal for 2023!
Pedaling Sunshine and Sunshine Striders
These teams were created and founded by Kelly Leach, rare cancer survivor (Ewing sarcoma) and patient at Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center. During her year of treatment, Kelly discovered Cycle for Survival and decided that this cause would be a major focus in her life after cancer. Pedaling Sunshine and Sunshine Striders were developed simultaneously, both named after the song “You Are My Sunshine” which Kelly sang to her two sons every night during treatment. Each year, the Sunshine Striders kid runners take to the streets in Chatham, NJ to run a 1-Mile loop around the Leach family residence. Kelly developed the Fun Run so that kids could be a part of the battle and raise critical fundraising dollars too. Her own children helped develop the event.
The adult spinning team Pedaling Sunshine takes to the bikes at Cycle for Survival's signature events across the country. Over the years Pedaling Sunshine has participated in events in 10 cities across the country, and the teams have included hundreds of riders.
Most importantly, these two teams have raised over $2 Million in just 7 years, and every penny of that fundraising has gone to rare cancer research, funding clinical trials and new drug development that has extended and improved the lives of cancer patients around the world.
|The Cycle for Survival Web page and e-mail are provided as a courtesy to participants to help them manage fundraising efforts for this event. Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center or any of its affiliated organizations, or their officers, directors, agents, or employees do not control, nor are they responsible for, the contents of this Web page. Any views or information provided on this Web page are the sole responsibility of the participant.
The participant's Web page may provide links to other Web sites and does not imply an endorsement by MSKCC, its affiliated organizations, their officers, directors, agents, and employees of the materials contained at those Web sites.