Ask the University of Mississippi Medical Center to End the Use of Pigs
Please take a minute to ask University of Mississippi Medical Center School of Medicine dean James E. Keeton, M.D., to stop the use of live pigs in the school’s medical student physiology lab. We have provided text for you, but if you decide to write your own message, please be polite and encouraging. Here are some talking points:
- Please replace the use of animals in UMMC’s physiology lab.
- Anatomical and physiological differences between pigs and humans render this type of training suboptimal.
- UMMC is one of only four schools in the United States and Canada that still use live animals for training.
- High-fidelity human-patient simulators more accurately represent human anatomy and allow for repetitive training.
- UMMC already has a state-of-the-art simulation center than can easily provide nonanimal training methods.
Click the "Send Message" button and your e-mail will automatically be sent to Dr. Keeton.