Transportation Support for Children with HIV - Vietnam
Location: Center No. 2 (HIV Center), Hanoi, Vietnam
Beneficiaries: 13 children with HIV
Background: Center No.2 provides treatment, shelter, and care for abandoned orphan children with HIV and provides treatment, behavior and dignity education, vocational training and work for drug addicts in Hanoi. Currently, there are 73 orphans from a few months old to 18 years old. In the past, the children could not go to school due to severe discrimination from the community due to their HIV status, but now they have the chance to attend classes in the orphanage or schools in the community like other children. The distance from the orphanage to the schools, however, is at least 4 miles and as many as 11 miles, making it hard for the children to walk or ride their bikes to school, especially in very hot weather, on really cold days, or in heavy rain. The orphanage is in a mountainous area with curving roads and many big trucks, making the road unsafe for the children to walk.
Goal: This project aims to keep these children in school by providing the means for them to take the bus there. Because the schools are so far, the roads are unsafe, and the children get tired more quickly due to their health status, going to school by bus is the best way to make sure the children go to school and stay in school. Although the government provides students with reduced bus ticket prices, the children have to travel six days a week, and many times on multiple buses. This project aims to offset the extra bus ticket expenses for these students.
- Help the children to get to school safe and on time
- Increase time to relax after school and decrease stress caused by walking along dangerous roads
- Improve the children’s health
- Save travel expenses for the orphanage. The saved funds can be used to support the children in other ways, such as buying more food, clothes, school supplies, equipping deficient facilities, etc.
- Enhance the quality of life for the children by giving them more time to do other things, such as studying and playing
- Reduce the stress and fatigue caused by traveling too far and too long
- Improve children’s overall health and study results
Project Goal Amount: $1,800