Welcome to Janet's 5K Fundraising Page!
I am so proud to be working with Samaritans incredible staff, volunteers and board members who every day befriend people struggling with isolation and despair. Samaritans is dedicated to reducing the incidence of suicide through our 24 hour Helpline (call or text 877-870-HOPE/4673), support for those grieving the loss of someone to suicide, and education and outreach on how to prevent suicide.
Samaritans 5K Run/Walk for Suicide Prevention on Saturday, September 28th is an uplifting, celebratory event dedicated to those who have been lost to suicide and supporting those who struggle with mental illness, depression, or loneliness, and those who are loss survivors, while raising money for prevention and grief support services.
So many of us have or know someone who has struggled with thoughts of suicide, mental illness and depression, or addiction. For them, and for those that have been lost, please join me for a brighter future.
Your gift of $30, $50 or $100 or more saves lives. Use the Donate Now button on the right to make a difference today.
Did you know? In Massachusetts in 2016 (latest data available) --
• 638 people died by suicide
• 11,014 people went to the emergency room or were hospitalized for self-inflicted injuries
• There are 3 times as many suicides as homicides each year and 2 times as many motor vehicle deaths
• The highest suicide rate is among men aged 45 – 64
• Women have a higher rate of suicide attempts
• In the U.S., suicide among Black and Latinx individuals escalated more than other groups
• 54% of people who died by suicide had a documented current mental health problem
• Lesbian, gay and bisexual youth are 4 times more likely to die by suicide
Your gift will fund Samaritans confidential, non-judgmental, and compassionate listening.
This year Samaritan will:
• Answer 66,700 Helpline calls from people struggling with despair, depression or who just need to talk
• Average 800 Helpline text conversations monthly, mostly from young people
• Reach 22,500 individuals with education on suicide risks and prevention strategies through workshops and awareness events
• Support survivors of suicide loss through 1,240 visits to SafePlace support groups or individual meetings
Please Donate or Join our Team. You can help prevent the tragedy of suicide.
Thank you so much for your support! You are helping to save lives!
If you think this page contains objectionable content, please inform the system administrator.