Team Champion FAQ's
Your health. moves. minds.® Fundraiser can be as simple or elaborate as you want it to be. Tailor it to your school size and schedule! Fundraisers can be as simple as lesson plans incorporated into your existing units, or can grow to be community-wide events.
We’ve got you covered with fun, educational resources and fundraising tips to make your Fundraiser impactful and engaging! These tools provide you with everything you need, from getting top-level support to raising funds online and more.
Team Champion FAQs
When is the best time to sign up my school for health. moves. minds.®?
At the beginning of the school year or right now (between August 15, 2022 April 15, 2023)! Ideally, we recommend registering approximately three months before you plan on implementing your event so you can provide enough of a heads up to administrators, colleagues and parents and so you have your event on the school calendar (to not conflict with another fundraising event at your school). Please note that all fundraising events must conclude (funds submitted to us) no later than June 30, 2023.
How do I create a fundraising team for my school?
You can create a team by clicking the Create a Team button from the homepage. Returning Team Champions can log in and reactivate their team from the previous school year. If you are a new Team Champion, you must first create an account and follow the short form until your account is created. Follow the prompts to name your team, set a fundraising goal, select the Team Champion registration option, fundraising selections, etc.
After you create an account and complete the registration form, you will be able to log into your Fundraising HQ to manage your team. You will receive a Thank you for Forming a Team email to guide you in next steps of your event. Also use the health. moves. minds. Event Timeline. Online donations made on behalf of a Fundraising Champion will roll-up to the school’s team fundraising account and goal.
How do others join my team?
To join a fundraising team, a fellow teacher or the parent registering the student (Fundraising Champion) must create an account that includes their individual fundraising page. There are three ways to join a team:
- Returning Fundraising Champions, log in and then search for the school team they wish to join.
- From the homepage, click the Join a Team button and search for the school team. Click the Join button next to the school team and then select Fundraising Champion and follow the short form to complete the registration process.
- On the homepage, enter the first few letters of the Team name in the Search Team field (on the left-hand side of the page). Click on the name of the school team to be directed to the Team Page and click the Join Team button to complete the registration process.
Will individual fundraising totals automatically be added to the team fundraising page?
Yes! Online donations made on behalf of a Fundraising Champion will roll-up to the school’s team fundraising account and goal.
Who can edit my team?
Only the school’s Team Champion who created the team will be able to edit the Team Fundraising Page. The Team Champion can update the page title, the team leader, short URL, and the team fundraising goal.
Why can’t I find my school?
To participate in health. moves. minds., a school must register through the online platform. If your school already created a team, you will have the option of entering the name in the Search Team field that appears on the left side of the homepage. Simply click on the name of the team and then click the Join Team button to become a Fundraisingr Champion. If your school is not listed, now is a great time for your school to register!
How can students earn a T-shirt?
To earn a T-shirt, a student/parent must register online as a Fundraising Champion through your school’s Team Fundraising Page and raise $50 online. Alternatively, student may collect offline donations and submit them to the school's Team Champion (ie., the teacher leading the fundraiser.). When a student raises at least $50 offline, he/she will earn the t-shirt incentive.
How do I handle offline donations and what is the check policy?
- All cash donations must be converted to a check or money order and made payable to SHAPE America when submitting them. Please do not send cash. Offline donations may be submitted to SHAPE America as one lump sum via ACH/Direct Deposit or in the form of a check sent in the mail.
- A School Offline Donation Form must be completed when submitting offline donations to SHAPE America.
- The completed Offline Donation Tracking form must be completed and emailed to email@example.com upon completion of your Fundraiser. This form needs to be provided to order t-shirts for your Fundraising Champions who raised offline donations only or offline and online donations. If a student raised online donations only, you do not need to include them on the form.
- Offline donations (matching gifts and checks) are not added to your school's Team Fundraising Total until SHAPE America has received funds from the Bank of the donor providing these donations.
How do I edit my personal information?
When you make a donation or create a Personal Fundraising Page, your Fundraising HQ is automatically created for you. Your personal information (name, email address, etc.) can be edited via your Fundraising HQ.
- Select Login from the homepage
Select the Login option at the top right-hand side of the screen.
Enter Email and Password
To access your Fundraising HQ, log in using your email address and password. If you have forgotten your password, reset it within the login window.
If you are already logged in, you can access your Fundraising HQ from any page by hovering your mouse over the Fundraising HQ button on the top right.
- Navigating the Fundraising HQ
Once logged in to your Fundraising HQ, you can edit your personal information. To make changes, click the Profile tab.
How do I manage my team as a Team Champion?
After you create a Team Fundraising Page, you can edit its details and personalize the content.
Before You Start
You’ll need to be a Team Champion in order to edit a Team Fundraising Page. The Team Champion is the individual who creates the team.
Editing Your Team Fundraising Page
In your Fundraising HQ, scroll down and click the My Team tab. You can toggle back and forth from your individual fundraising page to your team page, using these tabs.
In this section you will be able to edit your team details and manage/edit your team page. Simply make the edits you need and hit the Save Changes button when you’re finished.
Use Message to Your Team to keep Fundraising Champions engaged with your team’s fundraising progress. You can share progress toward your goal, something about the charity your school is supporting, or get creative and offer to do something special as an incentive for your students to raise donations at a certain level (e.g., slime the Principal, PE Teacher for the day, or sign the Achievement Poster).
Edit Your Team Fundraising Page Details
This is where you can edit the key details of your Team Fundraising Page such as your team picture and fundraising goal. Simply make the edits you need and hit the Save Changes button when you are finished.
To edit the content on your team page, click on the blue buttons within the section on the right side labeled Team Page. To edit sections of the page click Edit Content, Update Photo, etc. Hit Save when you are finished to save your edits.
Team Picture: Use the Upload Photo button to change your team picture. You can also use the Remove button to remove your picture and use the default picture.
Team Name: This is the team name that will display on your Team Fundraising Page
Goal: The amount you hope to fundraise. You can adjust the amount at a later date if you find that you have overestimated, or hopefully underestimated your team’s potential!
Set Your URL: This is the URL or link that will appear in your browser’s address box when donors visit your school team page.
Download Your Team Roster: Click the download icon to download your roster.
Comments On My Team Page
You’ll receive this notification when someone comments on your Team Fundraising Page. This ensures you know when to comment back to keep your donors engaged.
Donations On My Team Page
When someone donates to the Team Fundraising Page, you will receive this notification. This ensures you can thank donors for their generous gifts.
Fundraisers Joining My Team
You’ll receive this notification when someone joins your team as a Fundraising Champion. This will help you support your team members. Send them a Welcome to the Team email from your template emails.
When your team reaches a certain percentage of your team goal or a specific amount, send a ready-made encouragement email from your templates on your website.
How do I share my Team Fundraising Page?
Sharing your fundraising page is easy and critical to reaching your fundraising goal. As a Team Champion, you can easily share your team page using four methods.
Share From your Fundraising HQ: From your Fundraising HQ, you have three different options for sharing your fundraising page Facebook, Twitter, and URL link share. Click on the appropriate icon to share your page.
Share From the Team Fundraising Page: You can also share from your live Team Fundraising Page. On the right of the page, there are social media icons to click and share your page via Twitter, Facebook, or email.
Share by Connecting to Facebook Fundraiser: Social media is KEY to raising lots of awareness and donations. An easy first step is to create a Facebook Fundraiser directly from your Fundraising HQ.
Your linked Facebook Fundraiser is for your Personal Fundraising Page. All donations on your Personal Fundraising Page will roll up to your Team Fundraising Page for the total raised! In just a couple of clicks, you can give your friends and family a fast way to learn more about why you are fundraising and they can even donate without leaving their Facebook account. Setting up your Facebook Fundraiser through your Fundraising HQ will ensure all donations are added to your Personal Fundraising Page automatically!
- Login to your Fundraising HQ
- Look for the blue Reach Your Goal Faster box and click the Connect Fundraiser to Facebook button.
- Login to your Facebook account. If you are new to fundraising on Facebook with SHAPE America you will be prompted to click OK to allow access to manage fundraisers.
- Congratulations! Your Facebook Fundraiser is now connected and has been posted on your timeline letting people know you need their support!
From Facebook you can make additional edits to your linked fundraiser, as well as easily invite your Facebook Friends to donate and share why. Be sure to update the start and end dates of your Facebook Fundraiser to reflect the dates specified for your school by the Team Champion.
Facebook will remind you periodically to share (just in case you forget) and even remind your Friends that started to donate to finish (if they haven’t already).
Share Using Your Page URL: The last way to share your Team Fundraising Page with your network is to send your page URL via email. You can simply copy the URL in the address bar of your browser and paste it into an email to send to potential donors!
How do I edit my Personal Fundraising Page?
Fundraising progress updates are critical to engage your supporters. This support article will walk through how to post updates on your Personal and/or Team Fundraising Page(s).
Log In to your Fundraising HQ: First, log in to your Fundraising HQ that was automatically created for you when you registered. From the homepage, click the Login button at the top right-hand side of the screen. If you have forgotten your password, reset it within the login window.
If you already logged in, you can access your Fundraising HQ from any page by clicking the Fundraising HQ button in the top right-hand corner of the screen.
Navigate Your Personal or Team Fundraising HQ: In your Fundraising HQ, you will see tabs to manage your fundraising page and your teams. Select the Me tab to open your personal fundraising dashboard.
If you want to update a team page, click the My Team tab and open the team fundraising dashboard. Remember, only Team Champions (creators of the team) have access to the team fundraising dashboard.
To edit the content on your fundraising page, click on the blue buttons within the section on the right side labeled Personal Page. To edit sections of the page, click Edit Content, Update Photo, etc. Hit Save when you are finished to save your edits.
- Title: This is the heading that will display on your fundraising page
- Goal: The amount you hope to fundraise. You can increase the amount at a later date if you hit your goal early!
- Set Your URL: This is the URL or link that will appear in your browser’s address box when donors visit your page.
- Add a Personal Picture/Video: Use the Upload button to change your picture. You can also use the Remove button to remove your picture and use the default video.
- Add Offline Donations: To add an offline donation to your team page, go to your Fundraising HQ, scroll down until you see the Donations Received tab, click the Add button to add an offline donation to your page.
How do I thank donors?
There are three different ways to thank donors for their contributions.
- From your Fundraising HQ: From your Fundraising HQ, select the Emails tab. In the list under Contacts, you will see an Unthanked Donors tab. Click on the tab to populate your email. If you would like to use a templated message, click Use a Template and then click the Thank You message of your choice; this will pre-populate a message that you can personalize.
- From the Comment Feed: From your live fundraising page, scroll down until you see the Comments Feed located near the bottom of the page. This will display the most recent activity on your page. You can thank donors here by typing your thank you message in the resulting text field and selecting Post Comment.
- From Facebook: If you are using Facebook Fundraiser, you can always thank donors on social media and showcase your gratitude for their generosity in a public platform!
What do I need to do if I selected the Pay-It-Forward fundraising option to support a 501(c)(3) charity?
You and the selected charity must complete and submit the "Charity Paperwork" — which includes a Charity Consent Form, ACH/Direct Deposit Vendor Payment Authorization Form and W9 — at least 4 weeks prior to the start of your fundraiser. New Charity Paperwork MUST be submitted annually, even if you are supporting a 501(c)(3) charity that you have previously supported through health. moves. minds.
When will my selected 501(c)(3) charity receive their donation?
SHAPE America distributed 501(c)(3) charity donations on a quarterly basis. Please note: Matching Gift funds will not be considered as funds received until SHAPE America has received payment from the Matching Gift donor. Insufficient funds checks will not be disbursed on.
- 1st Quarter: When SHAPE America has received all funds and all completed 501(c)(3) Charity Paperwork from your health. moves. minds. Fundraiser by October 15, 2022, your selected charity will receive disbursement of funds on November 30, 2022.
- 2nd Quarter: When SHAPE America has received all funds and completed 501(c)(3) Charity Paperwork from your health. moves. minds. Fundraiser by January 15, 2023, your selected charity will receive disbursement of funds on February 28, 2023.
- 3rd Quarter: When SHAPE America has received all funds and completed 501(c)(3) Charity Paperwork from your health. moves. minds. Fundraiser by April 15, 2023, your selected charity will receive disbursement of funds on May 31, 2023.
- 4th Quarter: When SHAPE America has received all funds and completed 501(c)(3) Charity Paperwork from your health. moves. minds. Fundraiser by June 15, 2023, your selected charity will receive disbursement of funds on August 31, 2023.
When will I receive incentives for my students and school?
To adequately allow time for receipt of funds, the following incentives will be distributed on the following schedule:
- Ordering of Fundraising Champion T-shirts: When SHAPE America has received all funds from your 2022-2023 health. moves. minds. Fundraiser.
- Ordering of School Recognition Banner: When SHAPE America has received all funds from your 2022-2023 health. moves. minds. Fundraiser and your school has raised at least $500.
- Ordering of Gopher Gift Card: 30 days after receipt of all funds to SHAPE America for your 2022-2023 health. moves. minds. Fundraiser if accepting any offline donations and/or Matching Gifts. If accepting online donations only, your Gopher Gift Card will be ordered upon notification you are finished accepting donations for your Fundraiser. Please note: Matching Gifts will not be considered as funds received until SHAPE America has received payment from the Matching Gift donor. Insufficient funds checks will not be considered as funds received.
- SHAPE America Select Professional Membership: If your school has raised at least $2,000, your SHAPE America Select Professional Membership will be issued prior to September 1, 2023.
- Refer a Team Champion Incentive: Achieving Team Champions will receive Incentive Reward AFTER their Fundraiser has been completed and finalized.
- Best Year Yet Incentive: Achieving Team Champions and School Teams will receive Incentive Reward AFTER their Fundraiser has been completed and finalized.
Are donations tax deductible?
Yes, the Society of Health and Physical Educators (SHAPE America) is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization and as such any donations do qualify as charitable contributions and are deductible for federal income tax purposes to the extent permitted by law. Please keep your email donation receipt as your official record. We will send it to you upon successful completion of your donation. SHAPE America’s tax identification number is 52-0886491.
Do donors receive a receipt?
Yes. All online donors receive a donation receipt to the email address they provided.
Can I collect cash or check (i.e., offline) donations?
When your health. moves. minds. Fundraiser is over, submit all offline donations as one lump sum to SHAPE America via ACH/Direct Deposit (preferred and fastest method) or convert cash to a check or money order and mail us the check (slower method; adds 2 weeks+ to receive your incentives). Please submit your offline donations no more than 2 weeks AFTER you are finished accepting donations. Once we receive your donations via ACH/Direct Deposit or check, we will confirm those donations on your school's Team Fundraising Page total. ACH/Direct Deposit, checks and matching gifts are not added to your school's Team Fundraising Page total until SHAPE America has received bank funds from these donation types. Be sure to complete and submit a copy of the School Offline Donation Form along with your ACH/Direct Deposit or check.
Students raising offline donations are eligible to earn one t-shirt incentive if they raise at least $50. Be sure to use the Offline Donation Tracking form to record and track which students earn the incentive; you will be able to record the student's t-shirt size in the form.
Do you accept Employer Matching Gifts?
Yes! Many companies offer a matching gift program to encourage philanthropy among their employees. Gifts from employees' spouses and retired employees may also qualify for a match. Learn more.
What if I have a question that is not answered here?
Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org for any unanswered questions you have.