Urge your senator(s) to keep funding for an impartial study of carbon pricing in the state budget!
The Vermont House of Representatives has voted to fund a non-partisan economic analysis of carbon pricing as part of the state budget. This analysis, which they're calling a "decarbonization study," will help legislators craft a meaningful policy that develops our economy and bends the curve on our carbon pollution.
Now the budget is being considered by the Senate Appropriations Committee -- and then the full Senate.
With so many competing priorities in the budget, legislators must know that their constituents expect to see climate action in the final version of the budget.
Let's be clear - we need to do a lot more than study the issue. But make no mistake - including funding for an impartial study of the economic benefits of carbon pricing would be a huge victory for this campaign, and finally put to rest the lies and fear tactics being peddled by the fossil fuel industry and its allies. A study is not a substitute for action, but rather an important step towards it.
Use the form below to send your senators an email asking them to support funding a fair, independent analysis of the economic benefits of carbon pricing and other market-based decarbonization mechanisms in Vermont.
Legislators respond to personalized emails -- so please take a few moments to compose something from you, in your own words. Here are a few ideas to get you started:
- With a lack of leadership from Washington D.C. and even our own governor, please do all you can in your role to advance climate action. Please support the impartial study of carbon pricing and climate action that is in the state budget.
- The misinformation spread by the fossil fuel lobby must be put to rest. Please support the full and fair study in the budget on “decarbonization” and carbon pricing to get the facts on how they can benefit Vermont's economy and support the most vulnerable.
- All of our bordering states are looking at carbon pricing -- let's not get left behind. Please keep funding for an impartial study of how carbon pricing can work specifically here in Vermont in our state budget.
- A well-crafted carbon pricing plan like the ESSEX Plan would be good for Vermont's people, economy, and environment. Please support the full, fair, and funded study of carbon pricing in the state budget to explore these benefits.
- I stand with the Climate Action Commission, the Vermont Mayors Coalition, the Climate Solutions Caucus, and the Vermont Climate Change Economy Council, and urge you to do the same by including an impartial study of carbon pricing in the budget.
- A state-led, impartial study of “decarbonization” and carbon pricing could finally prove once and for all that it will be effective at boosting the local economy, protecting the most vulnerable from the volatility of dirty, imported fossil fuels, and reducing our carbon pollution. Please support this critical part of the state budget.