The Brain Warrior’s Way Hardcover Book
“Daniel and Tana Amen combine deep insights into science, psychology and spirituality to create a potent prescription for brain health. If you want to protect your most important organ, and ultimately become a force for healing in the world, follow The Brain Warrior’s Way.”
David S. Ludwig, MD, PhD, Professor, Harvard Medical School and author of the #1 New York Times bestseller Always Hungry? Conquer Cravings, Retrain Your Fat Cells, and Lose Weight Permanently.
The war for your health is won or lost between your ears, in the moment-by-moment decisions your brain makes every day. When your brain works right your decisions tend to be effective and add joy and energy to your life. When your brain is troubled, for whatever reason, you are much more likely to make bad decisions that steal your health, lead to your early destruction, and create trouble in future generations.
And make no mistake, you are in a war. Everywhere you go someone is trying to shove bad food down your throat that will kill you early; news corporations repeatedly pour fear and disaster images into your brain to boost their ratings; and tech companies create addictive gadgets that hook your attention and distract you from your loved ones. According to Microsoft, the human attention span is now 8 seconds; where a goldfish is 9. We are clearly going the wrong way with potential devastating consequences: Alzheimer’s disease is expected to quadruple between now and 2050; depression has risen 400% since 1987; half of Americans are pre-diabetic or diabetic; and two-thirds of us are overweight -- all conditions that damage our brains.
The answer to these epidemic problems is not to see them as separate disorders, but rather as different expressions of the same unhealthy lifestyle driven by bad decisions that have exactly the same cure. The Brain Warrior’s Way is a scientifically-designed program to help you master your brain and body for the rest of your life. It is not a program to lose 10 pounds, even though you will and much more if needed. Rather it’s a way of life. The Brain Warrior’s Way is based on 7 simple principles, which spell MASTERY:
Yearlong Brain Warrior Basic Training
BrainFit: 50 Ways to GROW Your Brain -- Program DVD with Bonus Material
In this program, award winning psychiatrist, brain-imaging expert and 10-time New York Times bestselling author Dr. Daniel Amen and his wife Tana Amen, also a New York Times bestselling author and nurse, will give you 50 ways to grow your brain and their best secrets to ignite your energy and focus at any age.
Through the brain imaging work at Amen Clinics with tens of thousands of patients, Dr. and Mrs. Amen have seen you can literally make your brain BIGGER, STRONGER, and even YOUNGER using some very simple strategies. It’s a huge promise, but one they’ve seen happen repeatedly by people who come to Amen Clinics or adopt their program.
In this fun, engaging program, Dr. and Mrs. Amen count down their top 50 ways to grow your brain. If you do just a few of these … you can think and feel better in a very short period of time. None of the strategies they’ll teach you are hard.
For example, did you know that dark chocolate can boost blood flow to your brain, and help improve your mood, and decrease anxiety? In one study, seniors who ate more of it had a lower incidence of dementia than those who ate less.
The program will be divided into three parts.
In Part One you’ll learn 20 simple, practical ways to boost your brain.
In Part Two you’ll learn their 20 best food and supplement recommendations.
In Part Three, they give you the 10 daily habits to keep your brain healthy for the rest of your life.
Here is a list of the 50 ways to GROW your brain.
1. Dark chocolate
2. Mozart and Strauss for BP and Abba for stress.
3. Protect your brain
4. Stop thinking of alcohol as a health food.
5. Smoking marijuana is not going green.
6. Do one simple thing at a time. Don’t try to do everything at once.
8. Brain Healthy Supplements
10. Brain healthy diet
11. Eat the good things first to crowd out the bad things
12. New learning
13. Get to a healthy weight
14. Teach your family
15. Assess your brain
16. Fall in love with your brain
17. Develop a BrainFit Mindset
18. Ask yourself, “Are you a sheep or a sheepdog?”
19. Know the real weapons of mass destruction
20. Know WHY you must be healthy
21. Avoid low quality food that’s engineered to hijack your brain
22. Read and understand food labels
23. Organic green tea
24. Low glycemic, high fiber colorful fruits and vegetables
25. More fruits and vegetables = more happiness in 24 hours!
26. Eat healthy fats, especially omega 3s
27. Eating fat helps absorb vitamins
28. Eat healthy proteins
29. Eat healthy protein and fat at each meal to prevent low blood sugar and relationship problems
30. Use spices like medicine
31. Try new recipes
32. Think of relationship to food like other relationships. Stay away from abusive ones
33. Limit any foods that steal your health: sugar, gluten, corn
34. Avoid anything raised with hormones, antibiotics, and pesticides
35. Daily 12-hour fast
36. Multiple vitamins
37. Omega 3s
38. Target supplements to your brain type
39. Gut health is critical to brain health - probiotics
40. Flossing daily is a brain exercise
41. To decrease risk of Alzheimer’s Disease eliminate all of the risk factors
42. Know your important numbers
43. Some anxiety is good for you
44. Start each day with intention, gratitude, and appreciation
45. Limit screen time
46. Pick exercise you love so you will do it
47. Sleep 7-8 hours
48. Managing stress is critical
49. Loving Kindness Meditation
50. It is never too early or too late to start taking care of your brain
In addition, there is an extra hour of bonus material during which Dr. and Mrs. Amen answer over 20 questions from the audience about brain health.
Total DVD running time is approximately 90 minutes.